Oxfam Australia is part of a global movement of dedicated people working hard to fight poverty and injustice. Oxfam provides people with the skills and resources to help them create their own solutions to poverty.
Email marketing is a key way Oxfam communicates with its supporters. The organisation uses emails to perform administrative functions, fundraising tasks, marketing and communicating with supporters. Oxfam’s email marketing is also a key driver of website traffic.
Emails are used to communicate with many different segments of their database. Oxfam is solely reliant on email to communicate with this group, and use the monthly emails to drive online actions, including information for supporters on how to write a letter to their local MP, and registrations for national campaigning events.
Despite the importance of email to the organisation, Oxfam Australia faced a number of challenges with the previous supplier’s email marketing solution, and were looking at streamlining communications:
- It didn’t offer Application Programming Interface (API) integration with their database system
- The content editor only allowed for limited changes and Oxfam couldn’t easily create new templates
- As a result of platform bugs, the system wasn’t easy to use, and it was difficult for users to create emails
- Secure a reliable and easy-to-use email marketing platform enabling integration with their CRM system.
- Ensure high email deliverability and scalability of volumes to drive traffic to their website more effectively
- Better template management and content creation tools to improve quality control over communications while maintaining brand consistency.
Oxfam Australia assessed Traction Express as the best overall fit to their needs from a pool of eight suppliers. Traction Express enabled Oxfam to substantially increase email volumes, while retaining strong brand management and good deliverability.
The API platform integration enables changes in a single database to automatically update data across the organisation.
Technical optimisation maximises email delivery and open rates, reducing the risk of lost communications.
Ease of use in template management
User-friendly and flexible template management tools increased consistency in brand application across the organisation.
In-depth behavioural reporting
Sophisticated reporting helped Oxfam utilise database preferences and user engagement intelligence for future marketing strategies.
- Deliverability improved, reducing overall email costs.
- Improved its overall brand management and quality control.
- Management of supporter communications became more efficient.
- Subscription volumes increased from three million a year to over five million a year.